Table Salt contains sodium and chloride minerals. Sodium mineral is frequently needed for the proper role of our nerves and muscles. However, excess sodium consumption in the diet can lead to retention of water in the blood vessels causing a rise in blood volume. This accession in blood volume causes a rise in blood pressure. High blood pressure is a natural cause of kidney failure, heart disease, and stroke.
Our Kidneys have a key function to regulate our Blood Pressure (BP) by regulation the salt (sodium) content in our body and by the production of hormones within the kidney called Renin and Aldosterone.
Studies in humans have shown that large salt intake increases protein leak in urine which is an important risk factor for developing kidney disease and cardiovascular disease. Reducing salt intake from 10 to 5g / day in a double-blind study has shown to decrease urine protein excretion by 19.4%. Similarly, high salt intake increases your risk of kidney stone formation. The minimum salt intake in a healthy adult is 3.8 grams of salt, to replace the amount lost daily through sweat and urine. The maximum salt an adult should consume is no more than 6 gm per day which is equal to 1.25 tablespoon of salt.
It is expected that an average Indian diet can contain about 8 to 11 grams of salt per day. By restricting the daily salt intake to 6 grams per day will guard your kidneys and at the same time provide the required salts your body needs to keep you well.
There are several ways to reduce salt intake in our diet:
- While cooking we should try to favor our food with spices rather than using excess salt.
- Lemon juice or tamarind juice can be used to decrease salt in our dishes.
- Have curd rice without salt.
- No added salt while having your meals. So, get rid of the table salt of your dining table.
- Reduced intake of pickles and chutneys.
- Reduce intake of foods with high salt content such as Bread, Pizza, salted snacks (such as nuts, biscuits, and potato chips), Ketchup, mayonnaise.
- Processed food also contains high salt and fat so it is best to cook your fresh food.